PERMIT TO USE SOUND
To apply for a permit to use sound, please use the form located here: http://ces.ucdavis.edu/forms/sound.
Permit request must be submitted no less than ten business days prior to the event date.
Please read the following policy carefully and submit your completed sound permit to Conference and Event Services by fax at 747-3853 or in person at 116 A Street.
The following policies and guidelines have been developed to assure that amplified/ or sound at events held on the UCD campus is maintained at a reasonable level and is not disruptive to campus activities or community residents.
UCD is dedicated to the principles of free expression and supports the rights of both individuals and groups to use amplified sound to communicate with others. However, as a campus community with many diverse interests and responsibilities, these guidelines have been developed to provide fair and reasonable opportunities for everyone.
The residence halls have specific policies governing amplified/ or sound in those areas. Please consult the Student Housing Office (752-2033) for information.
Please print the ENTIRE document, complete both steps 1 and 2 below and submit the entire packet including the completed permit to Conference and Event Services no later than ten working days prior to the event.
POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
- A permit must be issued by Conference and Event Services (CES) for any outdoor use of amplified/ or sound on campus. Permits will not be approved if the sound may interfere with classes, the orderly administration of the University, or unreasonably disturb campus and community residents.
- The applicant MUST have the permit present at the event and available for inspection upon request by any University Official, Officer or Police Services Specialist of the Davis Police Department, otherwise the permit becomes null and void.
- Sound checks must be conducted within the hours sound are allowed as indicated on the approved Permit to Use Outdoor Sound.
- Speakers must be positioned carefully in order to prevent sound from disturbing persons not in the immediate area. Atmospheric conditions, buildings and the surrounding terrain can greatly influence the effect of amplification. All speakers must be at ground level. Raised or double height speakers are not allowed. The set-up should be carefully checked before each event and monitored occasionally during the event by the sponsor.
- The level of sound must be limited to reach only the immediate audience.
- If sound level complaints are received, the University reserves the right to terminate sound (amplified or otherwise) or to terminate any event that may involve potential personal liability, property damage, or campus/community disruption.
All requests for outdoor sound must be submitted on the Permit to Use Outdoor Sound Form to Conference and Event Services no less than five working days prior to the activity or event and be approved by the Director or Senior Manager of CES. Forms must be complete including specific details such as event title, speaker or performer name, time, etc. Incomplete forms will not be considered.
Any requests for exceptional approval to use sound other than during the times listed below must be submitted on the Permit to Use Outdoor Sound form to CES at least ten working days prior to the activity or event, and must be signed by the director of the sponsoring organization (appropriate staff representative from CSI for student organizations, appropriate staff representative from ASUCD for any ASUCD sponsored event.)
Where exceptions are granted, event sponsors must ensure that any activity conducted during their event will be in accordance with all University policies and procedures, as well as any Federal, State and Local statutes and must ensure that sound amplification equipment, does not interfere with or inhibit other University functions. The University reserves the right to terminate sound (amplified or otherwise) or to terminate any event that may involve potential personal liability, property damage, campus/community disruption or may otherwise be deemed to be contrary to the mission of the University.
Violations of these Guidelines may result in disciplinary action imposed on the sponsoring organization and/or individual faculty, staff or students.
TIMES APPROVED FOR OUTDOOR SOUND AND LOCATION REQUIREMENTS
Outdoor use of amplified/ or sound is generally permitted in the areas listed below in accordance with the conditions enumerated. All other areas are by exception only.
MAIN QUADRANGLE (East & West)
Monday – Friday 12 noon – 1 pm only
Friday 5 pm – 10 pm (by exception only)
Saturday 9 am – 10 pm (by exception only)
Sunday & Holidays 9 am – 6 pm (by exception only)
- The Main Quad is divided into two sides by a sidewalk running North/South. The East Quad is most often reserved for events although the West Quad is also available for reservation. Sound is not permitted on both sides at the same time.
- When both the Quad and the MU Patio are reserved during the same time period, priority for use of amplified/ or sound belongs to the group which first reserved. The first group may choose to yield its priority, but may also elect not to have amplified/ or sound at either location.
- All events may set up on the South end of the East Quad facing North toward the Memorial Union, or on the West side of the West Quad facing east. Speaker events may set up at the East or South side of the Quad. BACK SPEAKERS ARE NOT PERMITTED FOR QUAD EVENTS.
- If sound is on the Quad, you must go into Shields Library to ensure sound is not too loud.
- If sound is on the East Quad, you must go into North and South Halls to ensure sound is not too loud.
- If sound is on West Quad, you must go into Hart & Wellman Halls to ensure sound is not too loud.
MU PATIO & MU PLAZA
Monday – Friday 12 noon – 1 pm only
Friday 5 pm – 10pm (by exception only)
Saturday, Sunday, & Holidays by exception only
When both the Quad and the MU Patio are reserved during the same time period, priority for use of amplified/ or sound belongs to the group which first reserved. The first group may choose to yield its priority, but may also elect not to have amplified/ or sound at either location.
PUTAH CREEK LODGE AND REC POOL LODGE
Monday – Friday 5 pm – 10 pm
Saturday 10 am – 10 pm
Sunday & Holidays 12 pm – 10 pm
- Permitted by exception only if determined not to interfere with classes or surrounding programs.
- Amplified/ or sound is permitted during official Intercollegiate Athletics games only. Other requests by exception only.
OTHER CAMPUS OUTDOOR LOCATIONS
- Sound permitted by exception only.